Kentucky Personal Injury Attorney answers this question-What claims can I make against an uninsured driver?

[back to index]

Kentucky Personal Injury Attorney answers this question-What claims can I make against an uninsured driver?

Kentucky Personal Injury Attorney
Kentucky Personal Injury Attorney Matt Troutman

Although you are not supposed to be able to drive a motor vehicle in Kentucky without being properly registered and insured, many people manage to do just that. People will sometimes agree to buy insurance so that they can register their vehicle, but they fail to pay for the insurance and, thus, they become an uninsured driver. Unfortunately, the same people who are not responsible enough to pay for their insurance cause traffic accidents. If you have been victimized by an uninsured driver in an auto accident, motorcycle accident or truck accident, you need to understand the limited options that are available to you.

Normally, the at-fault insurance company will pay for your property damage, but if the at-fault driver does not have insurance, you have two options. One, file a claim against your own insurance carrier if you purchased comprehensive property damage protection for your vehicle. If you did not purchase this coverage (common in older vehicles), then your second option is to sue the at fault driver and obtain a judgment against him or her. Once you obtain the judgment, Kentucky law allows for you to have his driver’s license suspended until he or she pays your judgment. You will likely have to file this claim on your own, because the cost of hiring a Kentucky personal injury attorney for this claim is prohibitive.

If you received personal injuries in your accident and you purchased uninsured motorist insurance, then your Kentucky personal injury attorney can file a claim for uninsured motorist benefits against your own carrier. This coverage does not cover property damage and is only for “bodily injury,” which would include claims for pain and suffering, lost wages and impairment to future earning capacity.

Kentucky Personal Injury Attorney Matt Troutman of the Troutman Law Office can help you maximize your personal injury claims regardless of whether an uninsured motorist is involved or not. You can contact Matt directly for your free case evaluation by calling 502-648-9507 or by email at or click here.

defective vehicle accident attorney Helpful Links:

Kentucky Motor Vehicle & Traffic Laws

Kentucky Motor Vehicle Licensing Laws

Kentucky No-Fault Laws

Related Links:

Car Accidents

Truck Accidents

Motorcycle Accidents

Death Accidents

Posted in Post

Recent Posts